Friday, September 30, 2011

Input Output



We are all influencers and we are all influenced.

Two questions come to mind:

1.  Who are we influencing and to what end?

2.  Who is influencing us...what are we listening to?

So much of what we have to give and the influence we have depends on what we allow to influence us.  So what we read and how we spend our time has a massive amount to do with what we have to give.  It can be for good or it can be for evil.  What we read, what we watch, who we spend time with.

When my kids were young they used to sing a song called, "Input, Output, What Comes in Must go Out"...and it's true, we are shaped by what we allow to influence us and it comes out of us whether we know it or not.

Confession---I love home decor.  I used to spend time looking at magazines, watching HGTV and was thrilled when I hit the jackpot with a good find at a store.  I still enjoy those things, but a year ago we moved in to a smaller place. I found I had all I needed, not just in terms of things but the place we moved to had wall colors and decor that fit my style.  So for the last year I've taken a bit of a hiatus.  I have what I need so I let so of that go  I found it had taken too much time--it had become an influence, and although not bad, had become a thing that I spent too much time on.
Whatever we put out time and effort into will grow--how do you spend your time?

"Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them."  Matt 7.30 NIV

Idea tab:  Invest in people--be a mentor, influence someone...be a friend, encourage them...be a learner, then let someone influence you and thank them for it.

And above all stay humble.

Two things remain, your relationship with God and your relationships with people...consider how you spend your time.



No comments:

Post a Comment