Thursday, August 18, 2011

Excellence





Excellence: ek-suk-luhns
1. the state of quality of excelling or being exceptionally good; extreme merit; superiority
2. an action, characteristic, feature, ect., in which a person excels


Most of us would say that excellence is something that we shoot for.  An action...as in doing something really well...being exceptionally good...superiority(?)...humm


I have a love/hate relationship with the word excellence.  Let me unpack this for you a bit.  All of us have experienced times when things are thrown together...it shows.


On the other hand when things are done well and run smoothly, everyone knows...excellence has been achieved.


Most would say they admire Jesus...he is a model, yet his example is one where God uses broken people, people we wouldn't pick.  This is huge...he took 12 unschooled ordinary people and changed the world.  

So back to excellence.  I think the word now denotes a more negative tone, one which carries a sense of veneer or facade, or even fake and inauthentic.  The business world is also taking note of this.  Being real and honest..not putting up props..people appreciate this...people don't want to be "sold"



I highly value being real, honest...that allows for connecting....maybe what I'd say is that I hope for competency in tasks and realness in relationship...


What do you think, where is the line?

1 comment:

  1. Liked your post. I have never been a fan of that word to describe what people can achieve although there are things I have encountered that have appealed to my taste in a way that I would call them excellent!

    ReplyDelete